Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Into White


Into White

We thought the snows of winter had completely disappeared, but we were wrong.
As we dreamt around the fire, wrapped up tightly in our thoughts, the snowflakes were gathered up from their wet melted state by the bushels and boatloads, the hampers and crates. For weeks and a day Mother Nature turned them over in her celadon hands, commissioning the angels to wash them clean, to flute their edges like bridal gown silk. Now thusly refashioned, all over town, the white snows of winter have reappeared on the pear trees, copious, fluffy and clean, the passementerie of angels, the first sign of Spring.

And I, who always send flowers of white to honour the dead, have heard the great empty silence from far over the oceans as thousands of souls rose up through white clouds.
So I plant white allyssum in planters and windowboxes.
They spill over the stone.
Their fragrance floats on the afternoon air.
With a delicate beauty, they are flowers brave enough to weather all the cold yet to come - each blossom a prayer, each petal a remembrance.

I thought when I was old enough I would understand more, thought the candles on my birthday cake would signify a wisdom denied to the young.
But there are mysteries more enormous and questions more complex than I could ever have imagined when placing my hope in the breadth of my years.
So I plant and I pray, and hold hands with the earth.
As the world turns into white.

Image above - Spring Landscape by Linkoku (1517-1618)


27 comments:

  1. Beautiful written.
    I can't think of an answer on why?
    This is such a loss...
    My prayers goes out to the people of Japan and all their loved ones.
    Love from Holland, Joni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Pamela. This tribute brought fresh tears to my eyes. My heart goes out to the people of Japan. May they find peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Pamela...planting white flowers is a touching way to honor and remember the precious souls that were lost.
    xo J~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful tribute, thank you for sharing.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pray for the people of Japan. This is devastating to their beautiful spirit for life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Pamela

    Lovely post! My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Japan.

    Best
    Tracy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your words connect and lift me...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could not have said it any better Pamela..beautiful sentiments.

    Jeanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such sad days as we pray for Japan.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. My gosh but Linkoku lived a long life way back in the 16th and 17th centuries.

    I'm surprised you've having so much snow in "the American Southland," and the fact that you are makes me think you must live in the Appalachians.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your tribute here is soft and tender, Pamela, and it rises like a prayer for Japan. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, what a cruel spring for Japan. It is heartbreaking.

    You have such poetic gifts, Pamela.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoy your words so much..thank you for sharing. XO Colette ~ Afrique du Sud

    ReplyDelete
  14. All our thoughts are turned to Japan Pamela - and I think particularly to the children.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Words fail me....but your words are perfect Pamela...xv

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful words Pamela. So apt and perfect for a very tragic situation. None of us can ever imagine what a person suffers when their home, family and lives are swept away. Their loss is unimaginable.

    ReplyDelete
  17. (Hope) Kibou ホープ

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful post, I smell the allyssum through the smoke and muddy earth scented air here at RavenWood.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Japan...we all pray for Japan, white flowers and Sakura for them, also in my blog.

    Your words are beautiful Pamela.

    Tahnk you, so much.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pamela,
    You always have a way of saying so beautifully what most of us simply can not.
    xo,
    ~R

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous screen! I’m pleased to see a beautiful image from Japan as tragedy is so imprinted on my brain. Thanks for getting the word out about giving to Red Cross. We are donating too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your post reminded me of an excerpt fromThe Beauty of Death by Kahlil Gibran:

    Take from me all earthly raiment and place me deep in my
    Mother Earth; and place me with care upon my mother's breast.
    Cover me with soft earth, and let each handful be mixed
    With seeds of jasmine, lilies and myrtle; and when they
    Grow above me, and thrive on my body's element they will
    Breathe the fragrance of my heart into space;
    And reveal even to the sun the secret of my peace;
    And sail with the breeze and comfort the wayfarer.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pamela those panels are wonderful, and the prose so poignant.

    You always seem to know what to put together!

    Come and enter my just in time for Spring Giveaway!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ah.....you have made me cry. Grave moments...and you have created beauty with your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dear Pamela, sorry to repeat the same comment. All I can say is beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Each and every one! Though I'm always reading your comments, I may not respond in the comment section. If you want to write me directly, you may do so at pamela@pamelaterry.net. Thank you for reading!