Saturday, February 1, 2014

Just The Best Thing Ever... And An Edward Movie


Just The Best Thing Ever...
and An Edward Movie

Not very far from his doorstep, many cars are in trouble.  Some face the wrong way, some are headfirst into ditches.  On the major highways they are lined up like painted toys, one after the other, as far as the eye can see, their occupants trapped for hours and hours on end.  There are schoolchildren bedding down for the night in cafeterias and classrooms while frantic parents, quite understandably, rant and rave over the city’s apparent lack of preparation for an event such as this.  Neither paperboy nor postman will visit his house today.  But the big white dog knows nothing of all this.  All he knows as he lays snuggled down in his fat paisley bed is that this has been one of the best days he can remember.

He had noticed a subtle change in the light around eleven o’clock that morning.  He didn’t think the sun could be responsible for this, for it had been so feeble at dawn it couldn’t muster a ray to pierce the pale grey wool of the strangely low-slung clouds; couldn’t paint a single shadow beneath the silent trees.  But this unknown light became brighter and brighter as the hours went on; a clear clean light that drew The Lady and The Man to the windows and caused them to smile.   The big white dog could hardly contain his curiosity.

Then he spied them pulling on extra sweaters and scarves; The Lady putting on her wellies; The Man, his gloves.  They opened the mudroom door and stepped aside for the big dog to exit.  Cautiously, he eased his head around the doorframe.  The entire world was white.  And very cold.  Blinking, he placed one big paw atop the marshmallow porch.  Ooh, it felt wonderful.  Joy overtook the big dog.  He shot out into this pristine new world in an effusive burst of jumps and rolls.  Like a pioneer explorer on an undiscovered island, his paw prints were the first to stamp this new land.   He looked around for Apple, his furry black friend, and they began a wintertime dance that continued throughout the arctic afternoon, till they had chunks of snow on the pads of their feet, till their fur was chilled and their ebony noses were cubes of ice.  

For some this January snow caused problems that shall be talked about for years.  
But for one big white dog and his furry black friend, it was just the best thing ever.



35 comments:

  1. "Yay","Yahooooooroo",and Yip-yip-YIPIE"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what fun!! Nothing like being happy and carefree :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, thank you, thank you for the video.of your joyful dogs in their winter wonderland. But where is apple? Have I really missed so much while I have gnawed on introspection? I hope I am not touching on a nerve or an open wound but I am so concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dont' worry, Arija! Apple is the black dog in the little film.
      We only have the two!
      xo

      Delete
  4. Delightful! Well done you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such joyful spirits! Made me laugh just to watch :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pure joy in that video. Oh for some snow here too.
    Cheers, Gail (from a sodden Scotland).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! What can be more fun than running out into the virgin snow? Bless him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to see you are all safe and sound and not stuck on a highway. When I saw the news reports of the snow in your area I was hoping you were OK. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweetest thing I've seen in a long time. Oh the Joy!!

    Sorry to see the mess that transpired in your area. Hope things get back to normal soon. I've been stuck in the house for 3 days, but that is ok I like to hibernate occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We looked at that line of cars and trucks that extended for miles in disbelief. I can imagine those trapped in those vehicles would have given anything to get out and have a deliciously happy romp like Edward and Apple!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This video put a big ole' smile on my face! Happy Winter to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so happy Edward had such fun in the snow.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Edward and Apple look so very happy! This little video brought a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks like your feet did a little happy dance too. Here in Chicago we become jaded with snow, but watching your boy's frolic made it feel like I was seeing it again for the very first time. When the next storm hits tomorrow, I will be thinking of Edward's and Apple's joy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh the joy of a PON in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful Edward!! Snow is forecast here overnight - I do hope you don;t send it our way though. I love it in your film but am not so keen when it arrives on my doorstep.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, how I loved this video! I have a Westie named Dickens and he responds the same way to snow. I always say that there's only one word to describe wht he does in the the snow and that is "frolic." He has been wearing a new jacket this year, and as soon as he rolls in the snow, the velcro at the neck becomes undone and won't stick again due to the attached snow. So, he comes home looking like he's been out for a wild night: jacket hanging off, face and snow covered in snow, and whatever fur is showing is a total mess. What joy these creatures bring to our lives....even more so when they are so full of joy themselves because of their snow dances! Happy to hear that you were safe from the traffic mess.

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a video + doggies playing in the snow + wonderful. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. OH!!! so joyful!
    edward and his little girlfriend apple! playing in the snow. perfection dearest pamela. simply perfection. ... with johnny mathis no less! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just smiling, smiling smiling - what a joyful, frolicking picture!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy snow dance! Maddie loves the snow and cold (part of her Scottish ancestry I presume) though she's way too dignified to frolic. Glad you weren't stuck on the highway. We only got about an inch, but it kept me inside.

    ReplyDelete
  22. adore this so much! and here we are still waiting for snow... I know my dog can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  23. They are having such fun!
    It warms my heart to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your delightful video is just "the best thing ever"!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Late last evening I found myself here and after reading the first paragraph you had me. Today I eagerly came back wanting more. You are one very talented writer.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've seen so many tragic images of snow in the south. It's good to see Edward and Apple enjoying it. Scout and I are hoping for more snow.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Pam watching your video made my day. Those two were like puppies & enjoying the snow like any of my children use to. So hard to believe that we've had virtually no snow this winter and so many in the states have had more than their fair share. Great video and the music was perfect. Happy February to you all x

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a joyous snow dance! Our springer spaniel loved the snow, but it didn't love his furry pads. When my Dad used to go shooting (pheasants, grouse and deer), there would be a halt periodically for everyone with a dog to remove the balls of ice from their paws.
    No snow at all here in the south of Scotland this winter. It feels very strange - a non-winter.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, that is adorable. Such an expression of pure happiness! I have missed the snow here in England this winter. Otherwise I would have been out doing the same as Edward and Apple!

    ReplyDelete
  30. There is nothing like a dog to teach you how to wring the joy out of every moment, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  31. That is so cute! Thanks for posting this dog romp in the snow. Oh how I miss the snow!
    xx Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm new to experiencing blogs and was introduced to your. A great way to begin my journey with such expressions of passion and love. regards donna

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Each and every one! Though I'm always reading your comments, I may not respond in the comment section. If you want to write me directly, you may do so at pamela@pamelaterry.net. Thank you for reading!