Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Werewolves and Candy Bars


Werewolves and Candy Bars

My parents told me not to be afraid of thunder.  They told me it was merely the sound of the angels moving their furniture around.  So I lay in bed on stormy nights imagining the houses of the holy being redecorated.  Angels with their halos slightly askew as they shoved painted wardrobes into corners and four-posters nearer to diamond-paned windows to take better advantage of the heavenly views.  The thunder would roll and I would see a large red ottoman being dragged across a golden floor.  My head still fills with damask and toile in every storm that blows.

They told me Santa would not stop at my house if I stayed awake.  So I lay in bed with my eyes scrunched up tight in concentrated effort, certain I would never fall asleep.  But of course, I did and, of course, he stopped.  I still feel the need to go to bed early on Christmas Eve.

The tooth fairy flew into my window every night I lost a tooth, slipping her dainty green arm beneath my pillow as I slept to leave me a shiny new quarter.   The Easter bunny, white as snow with out-sized ears, hopped unseen down my street every night before Easter.  I know because he left a basket on our dining room table for me and me alone.  

Magic was a part of my life and I never questioned its reality.  No one ever told me my life was populated with creatures who, in fact, did not exist;  I was supposed to figure that out for myself and indeed, that is what happened to most of my friends.  But I was, I suppose, an anomaly, for those doors in my soul through which I wandered and discovered the unseen to be as true as the seen, never closed.  They remain open even now, years later.  I know it is possible, if you know what to look for, to actually marry a prince.  Animals can speak volumes if you remember how to listen and you are never alone in an empty room.  I know there are extravagant worlds just beyond the realm of my own understanding and after years of practice I know how to spin straw into gold.

On the eve of my first ever journey to the Scottish Hebrides, my father took me aside and with a slight mischievous grin told me to keep an eye out for werewolves and to always have a candy bar in my pocket.  We laughed and hugged but as I walked away I noticed something half-serious in the glint of his eye.   
Things things are inherited, you know. 

***
“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you 
because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. 
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.” 
Roald Dahl

19 comments:

  1. And their is magic in all that you write!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! YES! I totally believe in magic and see it all around me every day! 3 baby ducklings hatched 3 days ago! we had no idea!!

    Good grief! The third batch this year!! Unheard of! They are so adorable; and their mother is so proud!

    And my granddaughter is going to St. Andrews for college! Scotland my favorite!!!

    I will visit! Lucky, lucky me! And search for sprites and werewolves!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is so much that we can't "understand" in our world, our universe...even as adults with get-to-the-point eyes and I, for one, am grateful for it. Glad to see I am not alone...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful Pamela! I remember so many of the same stories told as a child. We also sat our shoes our before bed for St. Nicholas Day. We need more magic in the world today!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes we must just make our own 'magic moments' to get us through the difficult times. Having practice during childhood makes it easier when we're all grown up. I'm so thankful for the magical times of my younger years, learned from beautiful books and outdoors in the Devon countryside. Never actually saw the Hound of the Baskervilles, but did spend a lot of playtime on Dartmoor which is full of magic!

    Beautiful story Pamela - memories of magic are precious.
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful story about thunder and the angels moving furniture around! I sure needed that one as a child. All the others are so very familiar to me. I can still feel the thrill of finding the treasures left to me during the night. I still talk to my rabbits when I put them out for Easter and shed a tear when I decorate the Christmas tree with a few old ornaments from my childhood. As usual Pamela, a beautiful post. …there are moments when the fairies still visit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Pamela - how I love your tales. What wonderful parents too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pam, I've had that Roald Dahl quote on our refrigerator since our kids were little, still on the same index card in my handwriting. I ask them to quote it every now and then when they're home between college or their adult roamings.... : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. how wonderful the stories + I was older before I did not believe in Santa! xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pamela,
    Oh, how I love this post. It reminds me of my favorite children't book "The Polar Express" and yes, I still hear the bell at Christmas.
    Lovely!
    Enjoy your week.
    xo,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful sweet stories you've shared from your childhood Pamela.
    Mustn't be too long till you go away on your adventure to Scotland.
    Pop that chocolate bar in your pocket now.......while you're thinking about it.
    Cheers
    Anita xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. You parents must have also enjoyed telling you tall tales and watch as you saw the magic unfold. This weekend we visited the farm where I spent my childhood. We walked the shore and I foraged for seaweed. Knowing that my ancestors walked and played on these shores was magical.
    Are you heading for Scotland this summer?
    Great post and thanks for continuing to blog
    Helenx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Pam, I've been on your blog mailing list for a few years and have never left a comment, until now. I think it is time I let you know that I adore the way you view the world, your love for books and dreaming. I'm also pretty fond of Edward. I live along way away in a little place called Adelaide in Australia. Thank you for sharing.
    Kind regards,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. It does indeed sound like a magical childhood! I have fond memories of watching storms with my mother, who taught to enjoy dramatic weather like live theater.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like I take a different approach to parenting. I try to reinforce science to my son, so I try to give him scientific explanations for everything. The world we live in is wonderful and complex, no need to sugar coat it with magical mumbo jumbo. The science in our planet is magic enough, and it will encourage learning in your child. Btw, my son loves space, and knows all his planets. He's only 3 years old, and very bright.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Each and every one! Though I'm always reading your comments, I may not respond in the comment section. If you want to write me directly, you may do so at pamela@pamelaterry.net. Thank you for reading!