Wednesday, November 5, 2008


Let Us Now Praise Witty Men

In this increasingly homogenized world of target audiences and common denominators, someone in possession of true individuality is a rare bird indeed. I was reminded of this fact one Thursday morning a couple of weeks ago when, over my coffee and strawberries, I opened my favorite section of the Times and spied a wonderful article on one of my decorating heroes, Keith Irvine. Now 80 years old, Mr. Irvine’s penchant for original thought and singular taste has not diminished one wee bit. If anything, as happily often occurs with age, it has only intensified, this being evidenced by his sharp pronouncements on topics ranging from the imperiousness of Sister Parish to the tentacles of Crate and Barrel. Mentored by the best, with talent to spare, the Scotsman Irvine combined what he learned with who he was and proceeded to concoct designs that were ever consistent in their beauty and their comfort; enchanting, inviting, and imminently livable rooms. In reading this entertaining interview with the man himself, and recalling all the pictures I had seen of his amazing work over the years, I recognized afresh an essential ingredient that is shared by all creations that I find most inspiring in the art of interior design, or in the art of life, for that matter. That most crucial element is Wit. For me, a room cannot sparkle without it. It is of no consequence the cost of the fabrics, the importance the paintings, or the provenance of the bibelots - when a room is devoid of wit it sits as lifeless and dull as a physician’s waiting room on a sunless day.

Many years ago, when I was just beginning to be fearless, I saw a magazine photo that effected me greatly. It was of a sitting room at Gipsy House, the home of the late author Roald Dahl.
Dahl had hung an immense and flamboyantly opulent mirror on the pale peach wall of the tiny room; a mirror which touched both ceiling and floor and straddled a ceiling beam to boot. Needless to say, it totally dominated the room, and I found it entrancing. With a beribboned bouquet of dried flowers tucked along one side and an emerald green tote bag hanging from the nose of a carved dolphin on the other, it was a wink to the seriousness that can sometimes exist in design. It was completely charming. It was witty.

While intelligence can be present without wit, and sadly often is, wit simply cannot breathe without intelligence. Wit springs from, and thrives on, intelligence. Think Austen or Rowling, Hepburn or Vreeland, Leonard Cohen or The Beatles. Think Keith Irvine. Intelligence plus wit so often equals magic. Perhaps that is why the most sought after dinner guests, the longest married couples, and yes, the most creative decorators seem to possess that bit of a sidelong glance at gravity, that crinkly sprinkle of amusement that just makes everything, in art and in life, better.
Wit.
Keith Irvine has it, has always had it.
Long may he reign.


“No matter how much restriction civilization imposes on the individual, he nevertheless finds some way to circumvent it. Wit is the best safety valve modern man has evolved; the more civilization, the more repression, the more need there is for wit."”
Sigmund Freud


If you are unfamiliar with the work of Keith Irvine,
a wonderful book was published last year that I would recommend.
It is entitled Keith Irvine-A Life in Decoration, and was written by his wife, Chippy
.




45 comments:

  1. That mirror fascinates me. It seems to have a life of its own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mirror is something else. I'll go check out Irvine. Any guy married to a woman named "Chippy" has to be pretty cool. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am such an R D fan! Great mirror, thanks for turning me on to Keith, I am going to check him out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you popped by my blog, thus enabling me to discover yours.

    I love what I see and read - I'd never heard of Irvine either but Im so curious to learn more - I'll be checking out the book asap..!

    You have a wonderful way with words - I'll be back as soon as I've more time to read leisurely and take in your thoughts and beautiful images...

    I have to fly,
    à bientôt..:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that idea - Wit in the most staid room to bring it alive. I must look at my rooms in a new light. I must say since I bought an old-fashioned hand sewing machine for the sun room, it did take on a new dimension to its already lovely character. I think that it introduced an element of Wit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mirror is amazing, totally over the top and yet so right for the space it fills. I love the way the rest of the room is reflected in it - it looks, too, as if you could climb through into another room beyond:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved your post just as much as I love this crazy mirror ..and thats a LOT..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Now that is some mirror....I love the carved heads on the sides.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! What a mirror! I love his books--it's fun to see his wit expressed in other ways too!

    Very interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Groovy mirror. I've got to have one just like it. Now where to put it in my 1400sf house ... [sigh] ((Hugs)) ♥ ∞

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my my my! The mirror!! The Dog!! Oh, I love it!!
    My husband is from Edinburgh, I'm ready for a trip, need to get away from the states for a bit!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That mirror, in that room - is simply spectacular ... another tres interesting post Pamela. I will look for that book recommendation.

    Miss Dixon send loads of love & woofs Edward & Miss A's way! cheers from Nova Scotia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog to visit!

    YOUR blog is amazing!!! Your thoughts, your prose, your pictures and ... dare I say it? Your wit :)

    Dahl's mirror is amazing! It is whimsical and it is grand and it is utterly perfect in that room.

    Thanks so much for giving me a chance to discover your blog! I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh yes, please let us praise witty anything! - your photo of that mirror is just epic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how I love Ronald Dahl...and more so for James and the Giant Peach than Charlie Bucket's experience at a chocolate factory!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful post Pamela... wit is priceless in all aspects of life, decorating included. As I am getting ready to do a little redecorating, I shall keep this lovely post in mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Pamela, I've given you an award over at the birdbath....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the tip. That picture just has great composition doesn't it? Going over to check him out.
    Lisa & Alfie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, I agree, this mirror is absolutely amazing! And daring to hang it in such a small room. But the results are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I too, adore that amazing mirror.

    Thanks for this post. I had never thought about design in this way, but how true! Not just with interiors, but I think with nearly, if not all types of design (am considering applications to my illustration as I type... Hmmmmm..... very cool...)

    ReplyDelete
  21. There is something magical about large opulent mirrors. They can be gateways to another place in mirror land. If you look at your room long enough via a mirror it gives you a fresh perspective. Mirrors bounce light and the outdoors into the darkest of corners. A large mirror by your front door shows you how you look as you leave and reminds you of who you are on your return.

    Anglo saxon mirrors were highly valued and only found in female high status burials.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the crazy mirror! I once heard of a haunted mirror, it reflected the room with the addition of a lit fire which crackled.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think I could happily knit in this room, baggsy I get the big salmon pink armchair.... Oh, and I'll have tea and hot buttered crumpets please!!
    Thanks for getting in touch. Likewise a wonderful blog! Clever lady... and Edward.

    ReplyDelete
  24. One does not need the halls of Versailles to bring beauty and reflection to their surroundings.Thus Irvine has incorporated this delightful mirror, complete with mythical dolphins to enhance the room and bring life and conversation to all those who enter.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  25. Do so agree about wit pamela (and edward). Re happy marriages then I think the key is being able to laugh together - which in a way is an offshoot of wit I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've noticed that many in the blogging world are striving for that keenness of wit. Some are quite successful and others are yet grappling with it. There is a tendency towards one-upmanship in some arenas.
    True wit is natural and unrepressed. It is not calculated or pre-meditated. We need more true wit and less half-wits!

    I greatly enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  27. A charming post. Wit and humour are indispensible in a man!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This was so lovely, so well written.
    I am a great Dahl fan too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well I can't think of a higher recommendation for a man than having a wife named Chippy. Well done indeed! p.s. What a lovely image to go with this post.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dearest Pamela, Edward & Miss A,

    Miss D and I were thrilled this afternoon to receive a large box at the post office, all the way from Georgia. We wanted to thank you very much for the Halloween keepsake box we won in your recent blog give away. It is tres lovely and so aptly sparkly. We look forward to next All Hallows Eve when we will display it prominently here at 29 Black Street and we'll fill it with candy corn & kisses.

    Merci mon amis!

    Susan, Miss D and les Chats

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a beautiful setting. And that mirror.....

    tea
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  32. That mirror is extremely unique. Definately one of a kind but I like it. I like mirrors and should actually have one or two and display. Thank for the idea

    ReplyDelete
  33. My mom inlaw searched for this book last year and eventually ordered it and of course loves it. Exactly her cup of tea. I'm sure you know about Chippy's website, www.chippyirvine.com/

    ReplyDelete
  34. oh yes wit is so important! Tha'ts a magnificent mirror too

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wonderful article and beautifully written Pamela! You have encouraged me to check out Keith Irvine!
    YES* to a touch of whimsy, an element of surprise one that shows you don't take yourself too seriously. This I learned from my father.
    All the best to you and the man of the House! Woof
    xox
    Constance

    ReplyDelete
  36. Lovely post, as usual, Pamela. I would like to have that mirror in my parlor!
    Are you enjoying the dip back into fall now? I bet Edward is out romping in the leaves at this moment!

    ReplyDelete
  37. love the idea of the mirror! i have also become more daring as i've aged. it is much easier to just throw caution to the wind and be creative in a whole new way. i'm not familiar with his work but headed over there to check it out. thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I so agree with you here. Lovely post. Wit is indeed special.

    " someone in possession of true individuality is a rare bird indeed."

    --Oh phew. My kids would say I am covered then!

    I love Interior design too and thus I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  39. That is fantastic - and so well matched by the prose. I am full of admiration.

    ReplyDelete
  40. That mirror is fabulous.
    Mirrors can totally transform a house.
    I have a bit of a strange one here, that was picked up from a car boot sale. It makes everything look abit side ways ??

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a fantastic mirror. I would totally dominate our 'snug'. I bemoan the fact that we have a huge wooden fireplace surround in this tiny room but maybe I should just appreciate it for what it is!

    A lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  42. This post had so many wonderful lines that I wish I'd written myself. It was a joy to read. And I'm going to go through the whole day looking for an excuse to drop "Many years ago, when I was just beginning to be fearless.." into a conversation.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Each and every one! Though I'm always reading your comments, I may not respond in the comment section. If you want to write me directly, you may do so at pamela@pamelaterry.net. Thank you for reading!