Friday, February 12, 2016

Staying In For Valentine's Day... A List of Romantic Movies


Staying In For Valentine’s Day
Everywhere I look this week I see chocolate, flowers and hearts.  
Just look at this photograph of a house I frequently drive past....


Restaurants are offering special menus.  Florists are in hyperdrive.  Married couples can even renew their wedding vows in the Botanical Garden’s rose garden, which I admit is a bit confusing as it’s rare to see a blooming rose in February, but I appreciate the sentiment behind the ceremony.  
Here at the House of Edward, The Songwriter and I prefer to stay in, finding it difficult to imagine a cozier, more romantic, spot than our own fireside.  If you are a bit like us, I’d like to offer up a list of our favorite romantic movies to enhance your evening.   There's a quote from each movie, just to tempt you with how wonderful they all are. 
And please do share some of your own!
Kisses and Hearts to All!
xoxo

Holiday

“You’ve got no faith in Johnny, have you, Julia?  His little dream my fall flat, you think.  Well, so it  may, what if it should?  There’ll be another.  Oh, I’ve got all the faith in the world in Johnny.  Whatever he does is all right with me.  If he wants to dream for a while, he can dream for a while, and if he wants to come back and sell peanuts, oh, how I’ll believe in those peanuts!”

Find it HERE

The Philadelphia Story

“What are her leading characteristics?’

‘She has a horror of men who wear their hats in the house.”

Find it HERE

My Favorite Wife

“The moment I saw you downstairs, I knew.”

“Oh, go on.  I bet you say that to all your wives.”

Find it HERE

The Awful Truth

“The custody of the dog will depend upon his own desire.”

Find it HERE

Out of Africa

“He even took the gramophone on safari.  Three rifles, supplies for a month, and Mozart.”

Find it HERE

Sense and Sensibility

“The air is full of spices.”

Find it HERE

Wuthering Heights

“Heathcliff, make the world stop right here.  Make everything stop and stand still and never move again.  Make the moors never change and you and I never change.”

Find it HERE

Pride and Prejudice

“No, indeed, my mind was more agreeably engaged. I've been meditating on the very great pleasure which a pair of fine eyes in the face of a pretty woman can bestow.”

Find it HERE

 Persuasion

“ I won’t allow it to be any more man’s nature than women’s to be inconstant or to forget those they love or have loved.  I believe the reverse.  I believe…. Let me just observe that all histories are against you, all stories, prose, and verse.  I do not think I ever opened a book in my life which did not have something to say on women’s fickleness.”

“But they were all written by men.”

Find it HERE

Notorious

“Don’t you need a coat?”

“You’ll do.”

Find it HERE

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

“You’ll… you’ll forgive me if I … if I take a moment to get accustomed to you.”

Find it HERE

I Know Where I’m Going

“People around here are very poor, I suppose.”

“Not poor, they just haven’t got any money.”

“It’s the same thing.”

“Oh no, it’s something quite different.”

Find it HERE

Truly, Madly, Deeply

“You’re probably a figment of my imagination.”

Find it HERE

Camelot

“It’s the most ferocious, savage, terrifying forest I’ve ever seen.  I simply adore it.”

Find it HERE

Painting above by Susan Ryder

23 comments:

  1. I have seen most of these, more than once ;-) , and love them! This is a great list. Enjoy your Valentine's Day with the Songwriter~

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Room With a View. Fabulous cast. Gorgeous scenery. Not to mention, Maggie Smith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your list included all my favorites. Might add Penny Serenade and Sleeping in Seattle to it. By the way, Wuthering Heights was filmed in my home town.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful list! Not a traditional love story per se, but how about 84 Charring Cross Road? It's a rare instance where the film more than equals the book.
    And Truly, Madly, Deeply......... why can't this glorious film be rented or streamed anywhere? A dvd for $185?, if only I could.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah...NOTORIOUS......my heart swelled at the thought.....all in all, a perfect list....but am loving the additions from the comments....Thank you...all of you.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know them all and love them dearly. A most perfect list.
    You've Got Mail. Kathleen Kelly to Joe Fox - I wanted it to be you. I wanted it to be you so badly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, every time I watch "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" I cry. Always moved by the sadness and beauty of that film. 84 Charring Cross Road is a love story in my book...another tear-jerker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful list. How about North and South (BBC)?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. Unusual and wonderfully romantic and humorous.

    How about "Moonstruck"! Last time I watched it (that would be about the hundredth time, actually) I counted literally dozens of the different kinds of love portrayed in the movie, starting with the love of music esp. opera (opera-within-movie itself insanely and tragically romantic) and encompassing not only the romance between Cher's and Nick Cage's characters but the older couples, the love of family (including dogs!), love for a city, for religion, for institutions such as marriage, for traditions, for family....on and on! I keep thinking each time I re-visit the movie I'm going to make a list but then get caught up in it and forget.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, these are all my favorites, too! And you noted my husband's favorite, I Know Where I'm Going. I would add A Room with a View, and it's noted in the comments as well. And I love Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. Like minds! And I always enjoy revisiting When Harry Met Sally.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some lovely suggestions. When Alan Rickman died I kept thinking about Truly, Madly, Deeply - in spite of not having seen it for many years. It always stuck with me, that film.

    I know it's thought of strictly as a Christmas film these days but I think It's a Wonderful Life is beautifully romantic. Emma, too, is sweetly romantic.

    Happy romance to you and the Songwriter. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all of these, but I must add Notting Hill. For romance without tragedy I vote for Sense and Sensibility.
    For music, hands down, Out of Africa.
    We're all about staying in usually, but this year there will be 8 of us enjoying the holiday with dinner at the hosting couples home. Lovely.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Number 11 caused an outburst of hilarity here !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seeing the painting at the top was my valentine. Simply gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love each of these but would add to the list..Babette's Feast....a stunning beautiful film...and perhaps...Enchanted April.. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Like you Pamela, the farmer and I will stay at home by the wood burner and I shall cook a nice meal for us. Too commercial all this stuff around.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Truly, Madly, Deeply: what a wonderful, bittersweet movie. Sigh. Why, oh why isn't it streaming anywhere?

    If there's a category for Action Romance, I'll nominate The Last of the Mohicans. That scene in the cave, in front of the waterfall! "You stay alive, no matter what occurs! I will find you. No matter how long it takes, no matter how far, I will find you." Swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pamela, You have featured here so many of my favorite movies. Bravo to your and your sweetheart for not following the hype and opting for your comfortable home to celebrate this commercial holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely movies. I would add The Age of Innocence, The English Patient, and The Wings of the Dove. Oh dear, they are all sad.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Truly, Madly, Deeply, every time Pamela. Hope you're having a lovely day.
    Cheers
    Anita xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful line up of movies! In the mid 80's, at the age of 15, my mother introduced me to the movies of the 40's and I fell in love. I was the only girl in high school with pictures of Cary Grant hanging in my bedroom. I recently introduced my sons to the old movies and I tell you, they found Monkey Business a hoot!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Each and every one! Though I'm always reading your comments, I may not respond in the comment section. If you want to write me directly, you may do so at pamela@pamelaterry.net. Thank you for reading!