Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The Thunderstorm Companion


The Thunderstorm Companion
The afternoon cracked open and the air turned white with rain.
The old cottage winced under cannonades of thunder and lightning burst through the windows, jagged and unnatural.  In other words, the perfect afternoon to cast aside all responsibilities, curl up on the chaise, and knit.  
The big dog watched me, a tiny flicker of unease crossing his furry face with every shudder of thunder.  
“Perhaps she is scared”, he thought. “Yes.  She needs me close.  That’s what I’m here for.” 
So he jumped up to share my seat.


He is a big dog.  A very big dog.  
And, after a few of my wiggles and squirms to get comfortable….


“What do you mean, you don’t have enough room??”
I just love life with this dog.

11 comments:

  1. Perfect in every way. Have you tried making yarn from Edward's coat? I have a book about it. I wish my weenies had enough hair to save to knit something with their hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is so adorable. My beautiful Charlie was terrified of thunderstorms. So many nights I sat up with him. Hold your precious Edward close through every storm. They are gone too soon.
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful dog and a great companion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That face...! I love that face! Well, I have been in love with Edward from the first time I ever found From the House of Edward! Whatever you are knitting looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. His expression is priceless! I too love life with our dogs.
    xo,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect explanation of the thunder and lightning experience. And all the time I thought my large puppy was trying to crawl under my skin to protect himself. How clueless am I! Angela Muller

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that face!! Have you heard this quote: “Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    ― Dean Koontz, A Big Little Life: A Memoir of a Joyful Dog

    Makes me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh he is the most adorable dog! And your setting looks very cozy. Makes me want to go back to knitting! xx Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blog. However, I notice a problem with this blog and other blogspot (blogger) sites. When I click on the "members" link, nothing displays. This must be a template problem, but as I am not a blogger I really don't know what the issue might be. I thought you would like to know. It happens no matter what browser or what machine I use.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How thoughtful of your dear dog to comfort you.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Each and every one! Though I'm always reading your comments, I may not respond in the comment section. If you want to write me directly, you may do so at pamela@pamelaterry.net. Thank you for reading!