Wednesday, October 15, 2014

One Indispensable Day in October


One Indispensable Day in October

  Although I prattle on about each season as though it’s my favourite, it’s no secret that autumn holds my heart tight within its bright orange glow.  When that first chill pierces the morning air and the light becomes clearer than an artist’s eye, I feel a unique joy.  So as I sat trying to think of all the delicious puzzle parts that make up the autumnal season I found it impossible to jettison even one.  Fall without scarves or shawls, turtlenecks or Dubarry boots?  Unthinkable.  To take away firesides or flannel shirts, tartan blankets or Halloween?  Never.  Losing pumpkins or cinnamon, scarlet leaves or apple pies?  Oh my goodness, no.  I doubt I could even loosen my grasp on Mario Badescu’s Bee Pollen Cream, my secret weapon for the pinkly chapped cheeks that come after brisk walks with Edward.  But the truth is, the part of autumn I would find utterly indispensable is none of these things, delightful as they are.  You see, I couldn’t imagine autumn without one special day in October.  It is a day celebrated in my family as faithfully as Christmas, and with as much gladness.

The Songwriter and I were best friends all through my teenage years.  We were the type of friends who would call each other after our dates with other people to commiserate with one another about how dreadful they’d been.  We went practically everywhere together, laughing all the way.  Then one afternoon in October, we drove up into the mountains for a picnic by a lake.  We came home engaged to be married and have never looked back.  So, every October, when that particular date rolls around, we go back to the same secluded lake in the woods - to remember, to celebrate, in gratitude and love.

We’ve never missed a year.  We’ve returned on sunny days and stormy ones.  On days when the leaves wore colours more brilliant than butterflies and on days when the heat of summer lingered and kept them clad in green.  We have come during years of bounty and during years of loss.  We have come when we didn’t really have time to do so.   Edward and Apple go with us now, eager to follow the well-worn path that winds through the thicket surrounding the lake.  A family holiday just for us.

Last Saturday afternoon, I visited an elderly friend who’d been feeling poorly.  She happily told me all about her grand-daughter’s new marriage and, as she related their plans for the upcoming holiday season she said, “It makes me so happy to see that this new couple understands the importance of traditions.”.  My mind went immediately to our day in October and I had to agree with my friend.  Traditions are touchstones, occasions set aside to mark the passing of time even as we revel in all the present joys.  Our lives spin so fast; it is vital to keep our eyes on the still places so we don’t lose our balance, lose our way.  Traditions are the still places.  Our day in October is a tradition.   

Oh yes, I know it sounds sappy.  Who celebrates the day they became engaged, for goodness sakes?  Isn’t the wedding anniversary enough?    But I couldn’t imagine autumn without this most personal, most celebratory, day.   After all these years, The Songwriter is still my favourite person; we still laugh every day.  I am grateful. So yes, this is the one part of autumn I could never relinquish.

*****
Once again, I'm tickled to take part in Splenderosa's monthly topic.
Always such fun to see what everyone writes.
See more HERE.

27 comments:

  1. Of course, you chose a very poetic way of expressing your "favorite."
    And, of course, I love what you've done.
    It makes me feel simple and foolish-minded for featuring clothing ):'s

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pamela... this is such a romantic tradition... I loved that you both celebrate your comittment, the day when life changed.
    Thank you for this beautiful writing... a very lovely start to my day... xv

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post! And what a lovely tradition. I think it's also wonderful how you got to know each other through thick and thin with being best friends before the day that changed to commitment. Happy anniversary to your engagement, and happy anniversary for your marriage, too, whenever that date is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this made my heart go ker-thump! Thank you so much for sharing this very special day with us. How wonderful in the most literal sense of the word - especially as you both know the great fortune you and the Songwriter have in spending your lives together...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A marriage that is full of laughter is perfect Pamela - luckily I have one too and I am grateful for it every single day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post brought tears to my eyes, particularly the second paragraph...so glad I read it. You write beautifully.

    I got engaged on a December Sunday in Central Park, NYC and was married in October, I always knew I would want an October wedding, autumn is very favourite season too.

    Best wishes to you, Simone Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pamela, as always a beautiful post. How wonderful to celebrate this special day! Although I have been a long time reader I missed the part in the past where you mentioned that you had known the songwriter since high school.

    You are blessed to have found such a special man to share your life with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sono rimasta folgorata dalla lettura di questo bellissimo post: parole e stagione sono associate in modo perfetto e magico. Bravissima. Ciao da Roma

    ReplyDelete
  9. Traditions are indeed places. What a heart-felt and elegant piece of writing. Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Traditions are the still places." Yes. Yes, indeed.
    We have a tree, where we sat, 45 years past, and first uttered the words "I love you". It is on the quad of a midwestern university. Still there. Still ours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful take on our BIO subject Pamela……. and there's nothing wrong in celebrating it …. the more celebrations the better in my book !! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful my dear, and wishing you many more indispensable days..xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely, unequivocally, the most beautiful story…..

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful story and a great tradition. We follow several traditions, they enrich our lives.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. you write of your love of traditions + the more the better + what a wonderful tradition you have started.xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. the most beautiful tradition. true friendship and love. the best of each.
    how fortunate you are to still have each other... all these years.
    xo♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. .....I'm so moved by what you narrate and how you narrate

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's lovely, I don't think it sounds "sappy" at all.
    Traditions are good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy engagement anniversary! That's such a sweet story.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pamela, your spot at the lake sounds perfect. Mind if I join you next year?

    ReplyDelete
  21. October has been hard for me as my Husband passed away on the 8th. Well, now my Daughter was married on the 5th so it puts a better feeling of October. This is my favorite season.
    yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's funny Pamela, but I remember our engagement day with such fondness too. It happened on Fathers' Day (1st Sunday in August here in Australia). My husband to be rang my Father and asked for his permission. Seemed so old fashioned even in the 80's.
    Dad's passed away now, but I think of this moment still so vividly 30 years on. My Father happy on one end of the phone and us on the other.
    Loved your story about your special day and love that you keep it special.
    xx Anita

    ReplyDelete
  23. A lovely romantic post - each year Charles and I celebrated the day we met, - Easter Sunday, April 25th, 1943 - and it is still a day I hold to be the best one of my life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Money can't buy memories like this. You are fortunate. What's nice is that you know it and appreciate it and don't take it for granted. You know you have a wonderful "thing" going.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hiện nay, Amazon là một trong những kênh thương mại điện tử lớn được nhiều người tiêu dùng tại Việt Nam mua sắm, hướng dẫn mua hàng amazoncách mua hàng trên amazon tại nhật giúp người tiêu dùng có thể mua sắm hàng hóa một cách thuận lợi và đơn giản nhất, không phải gặp khó khăn với những hình thức thanh toán quốc tế phức tạp.
    Nhật Bản là một trong những quốc gia có nhiều cảnh đẹp thu hút được nhiều khách du lịch trong và ngoài nước, và nhiều người đặt ra câu hỏi rằng đi nhật có cần visa không và khi đi nhật làm visa đi nhật hết bao nhiêu tiền để mọi người có thể toan tính chi phí để lên một kế hoạch du lịch thích hợp nhất. Khi đi du lịch nhật bản nên đi đâu, những điểm đến lý tưởng nên đi khi du lịch sang nhật để có thể lưu lại những khoảng khắc đẹp nhất. con gái Nhật có một làn da rất trắng mà nhiều phụ nữ mơ ước, hướng dẫn cách Cách làm trắng da toàn thân như những cô gái nhật bản.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Each and every one! Though I'm always reading your comments, I may not respond in the comment section. If you want to write me directly, you may do so at pamela@pamelaterry.net. Thank you for reading!