Friday, August 12, 2011

All Is Well


All Is Well
I once heard an interview with uber-director, Martin Scorsese, in which he recalled a childhood event that I found completely disturbing. Although he told this story with a good-natured bemusement, I couldn’t help but think his clement attitude was hard won through years of therapy, for it seems one day when he was little his mother told him they were going to the circus when, in actuality, she took him to the hospital where she dropped him off to have his tonsils removed. She had the cheek to actually describe him as “a bit peeved” when she came to collect him the next day. Well, I guess he was.
Strange how I can’t get Mrs. Scorsese out of my head on this early morning, the first day of school. I follow the buses - a interminable line of fat yellow bumblebees transporting shiny new students to the halls of learning. On the seat beside me, a big white furry dog, thrilled to bits at this unusual cockcrow jaunt. I know, as he sadly does not, that our destination is not the park nor the garden - not the library, nor the cafe with the cool porch under the dogwood trees. No, we are on our way to the vets, an appointment made necessary by a slab fracture of Edward’s back tooth. He was stoic as ever, but I could tell something was bothering him a few days ago and, on inspection of that polar bear mouth, I found the wicked looking culprit. So, here we go to surgery - one more car in the coil of traffic that makes up the morning rush hour. Except I have no desire to rush.

Finally at the surgery, the attendant comes to get him and Edward trots back, ever smiling, and I think once again of little Marty Scorsese. I am left alone in the waiting room. I try not to worry. I try to write, but can’t concentrate. I try to knit, but drop stitches. I might as well be knitting with my toes. I do the crossword. I scan the paper. I call The Songwriter, home with a dejected Apple, both of them anxious for an update. Thoughtful as always, the vet sends assistants out to me every thirty minutes with progress reports.
We’re starting now. It should take about an hour.”
“He’s doing fine, but it was a nasty tooth.”
“We’re removing the anesthesia now, he’ll sleep for a few hours. You go get something to eat”.

He’s awake by three. The vet brings him to the front and Edward, feeling the aftereffects of morphine and valium, cuts the corner too wide with a goofy grin on his face. I help him into the car, he sleeps the way home and, once there, continues his nap in a chair by the window. I sit across from him, relieved that he’s better, happy that he’s home..
And it’s chicken and scrambled eggs for dinner.
All is well.
One of the best dog poems ever.
For Edward.

What The Dog Perhaps Hears
by Lisel Mueller
If an inaudible whistle
blown between our lips
can send him home to us,
then silence is perhaps
the sound of spiders breathing
and roots mining the earth;
it may be asparagus heaving,
headfirst, into the light
and the long brown sound
of cracked cups, when it happens.
We would like to ask the dog
if there is a continuous whir
because the child in the house
keeps growing, if the snake
really stretches full length
without a click and the sun
breaks through clouds without
a decibel of effort,
whether in autumn, when the trees
dry up their wells, there isn't a shudder
too high for us to hear.
What is it like up there
above the shut-off level
of our simple ears?
For us there was no birth cry,
the newborn bird is suddenly here,
the egg broken, the nest alive,
and we heard nothing when the world changed.

40 comments:

  1. Oh, poor baby. Happy you figured out the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that it's over. Hope he will be back on his paws as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure Edward will be back to himself in a few days, but, poor fellow. It is no fun having tooth surgery and he was a brave one for sure. So were you, Pamela. Hope you both rest up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful thoughts in that poem. Poor Edward, I know the feeling waiting for the vet's answer.
    Happy the little man is home, he looks content too. Give him a kiss on the little black nose.for me.

    yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been waiting for your next post. Stunning poem, more frequent than not parental deceit, and a beautiful account of your day written in a narrative that speaks volumes of poetry, to me.

    I love your DOG! HE IS HUGE and I adore big dogs. I hope with all my heart that ALL WILL CONTINUE TO BE WELL with you and your household...Anita

    ReplyDelete
  6. God-Edward is so adorable- hope he will feel better soon! best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor old Edward and you. I hope he's feeling better now. I love that photo of him snoozing. I just stopped by my vet's office today to tell them we were getting a puppy next month.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart skips a beat when a I see a post about a friend's dog. I'm happy Edward is doing better and resting. I hope you both have a good night. Hugs to you both!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO GLAD TO HEAR! IT IS AWFUL WHEN OUR BABIES WHO CANNOT TALK ARE SUFFERING.
    L.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh bless dear Edward. I'm so glad he's okay. I love the poem. Hope all's good with you Pamela xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved your analogy between Mr. Scorsese and Edwards vet visit. I must say I was in angst as I read of Edward in surgery and you patiently, but nervously waiting. Very happy Edward did so well as you too Pamela!

    Three cheers for Edward and the skilled vet.

    x Deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. So good to know he is all well again!
    Thank goodness you found what was wrong!
    PS: I am feeling the blues already, we are leaving this beautiful place here in two days...
    xoxo V.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so happy to hear that Edward is feeling better. When I saw your comment at Wilf the Pon I was worried for poor Edward.

    It is always a little nerve wracking when our pups are ill.

    Prayers and good thughts to Edward for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to hear it went well and Edward's recovering! Hugs {{}}

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a sweet post. You had me on the edge of my seat, waiting for the last bit of news...that Edward is truly ok.

    I've experienced similar feelings while driving my fur gal to the vet. On the other hand, I don't know if I've ever known a mum like Martin's - and glad of it, I am!

    Pats to dear Edward from his fans on the west coast. May he be heartily chomping away in no time a'tall :>]]

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh...so glad to hear he is back home and well. I know you worry that something might go wrong each time. I love the Martin Scorsese story. I can see how that came to mind. I can also see how that would scar a person for life. I still remember getting my tonsils out and I can imagine how I would have felt if I'd been told I was going to the circus. As it was I felt cheated because I was told I could have as much ice cream as I wanted afterwards but what they didn't tell me was that I wouldn't want any. I still feel duped to this day.

    I'm sure Edward has no such feelings toward you. Dogs are so forgiving. I've seen dogs in terrible shape at the vet wag their tail. They are the eternal optimist. Now that being said...I once had a dog that thought everything was terrible all the time. But she was the exception.

    Loved that poem.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brave Edward - that is because he knows he is a much loved dog and that you will never let him down. I love the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh poor Edward but such a brave boy. It seems that he takes it all in his stride. ....and, what a wonderful photograph of him. Back into the arms of his beloved owners and comfy chair.
    ....and, what a story about Martin Scorsese.I can remember when I took our children to have their injections and how I always prepared them with the gentle truth.I even remember the lady at my antenatal classes when she told everyone that it really did hurt when you had a baby. It was the best thing that she could have said. My sister went to the National Childbirth Trust classes where they lulled everyone into a false sense of security by telling them that, if they did the breathing exersises, they wouldn't feel a thing !!!!
    Wishing Edward a speedy recovery and some tasty tidbits from you !! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  19. Best wishes to Edward, now his ordeal is over - and many lovely trips out when he is recovered.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That trusting way they trot off . Being PONs the trusting way they trot back .

    Ice cream for Edward and his sore jaw for the next couple of nights ?

    ReplyDelete
  21. So glad this came out well! I knew something was up from reading Angus' blog! Smooches to the sweet head of Edward! Speedy recovery dear one!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bravo Edward! And, Bravo brave and good mum, Pamela!
    Trust he will be hearty and hale again very sooon....
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sending my good wishes for a speedy recovery for Edward!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  24. Poor Edward!
    Do hope he is recovering apace.
    Pats and hugs all around.

    As for Marty's mom -- big smacks. I believe in telling the truth to children.... within reason --as in: you're going to the doctor who will help you feel better....blah blah....and Mummy will buy you a super prize for being so good!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aw poor Edward! Glad he is ok. :) xx
    Oh and poor Martin Scorcese too. How awful what a horrid thing for his Mother to have done!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Poor baby..give him a hug from me!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Brave Edward! It's good to know that his convalescence will be attended to with love.

    The world becomes smaller through books. How interesting that we have some titles in common at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Glad to hear Edward is on the mend. We do worry so about our doggies.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am so glad to hear that he braved it all so well and could still greet you with his goofy grin!They are so precious to us and it is awful when they are not well. Edward you take care now no more breaking teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Poor Brave Edward!
    I hate going to the dentist, he and YOU were SO brave. Sometimes I think it's worse being 'the one who waits'. At least it's all done and dear Edward is on the mend now.

    What a wonderful poem!!

    Big hugs for you all
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  31. Pamela I would say that Edward has a much more loving Mommy that young Scorsese. Just a guess...

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  32. My doggies are asleep at my feet while I read your dog blog. I had a lump in my throat just imagining your adopted child being in surgery. They are so dear.

    ReplyDelete
  33. That is a perfect description of how it feels to take beloved companions to the vet. I call my cats to me for a cuddle and they are so happy to be in my arms and it feels so much like a traitor's cuddle as I have to put them in the cat basket. And even then they are so happy to nudge against my fingers behind the wire door and I feel so sorry that I can't explain it's just a check-up.

    Ginger is so much better now - he is back to eating biscuits and has regained his gentleman-cat temprement. I hope Edward is doing well (and enjoying his chicken and eggs!).

    That is a lovely poem. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your writing is absolutely soul stirring...as is the picture of dear dear Edward. To better days Mr. Polar Bear!

    ReplyDelete
  35. So happy all is well. I'm sure he will be be properly pampered during his recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Pamela,
    Its been a while since I visited with you and so much has happened in my life. I lost my dear Sweet William Wallace on mothers day. He had a major seizure and all I could do was lay beside him and hold him till the morning came. I knew that this would be my last morning with him and as I write this it is so hard as the tears still flow. Your sweet Edward reminds me so much of my Sweet Wallace. Thank God that I still have my little 100+lb lap puppy Phoebe. We have helped each other through the difficult times and i know it will get easier but it still make my heart hurt.
    You are still writing your beautiful words that make me smile and I will try not to stay away so long before my next visit.
    Hugs and blessings
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh Dear!! Poor Edward! I am glad he pulled thru and is back to his old self. I took Tika in to have her teeth cleaned last month and what an ordeal...a whole day, sedation and confusion. The forms alone had me panicked...we were both very happy to see each other again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Poor Edward, and poor you! I get so scared when one of mine has to be anesthetized.

    I love the poem, as well. Please give Edward a pat from Texas! I have missed your blog, but have taken early retirement and can now blog read the day through if I so choose!

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Each and every one! Though I'm always reading your comments, I may not respond in the comment section. If you want to write me directly, you may do so at pamela@pamelaterry.net. Thank you for reading!