Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Hardly Mata Hari


Hardly Mata Hari

Here in the states, we have been hearing quite a few warnings of late, all concerning the issue of phone tracking. It seems we are just beginning to discover how smart those ubiquitous little smart phones really are. Turns out, whilst we may think they are merely riding along in our pockets or handbags, waiting patiently to be called into service when we wish to phone someone, text someone, take a photo, find a restaurant, or take our turn in the scrabble game we are playing with an out-of-state friend, what they are really up to is much more advanced, and dare we say, sinister. Apparently, up to one hundred times a day, these little guys are reporting back our various locations to .... well, I don’t know who they report to exactly. I guess that’s where the worry comes in.
Now, there are some serious issues to iron out here and I certainly don’t mean to downplay those in any fashion. But sitting here thinking about the information my phone would provide the powers that be, well, it just makes me giggle.
So join me, won’t you?.....

We are in a steel and glass office building somewhere in the northwest. The walls of the building are glowing in the afternoon sun and scores of brown suited men in red ties and weejuns are scurrying to and fro like crickets, scowls being the predominant expressions of all. We zero in on one particular little fellow in an overcrowded elevator on his way up to the 31st floor for a meeting with his superior, Mr. Jobs. The little man’s name is Perkins, and when we first see him, he is nervously rifling through several wrinkled pages of a dreadfully thin file, all the while casting surreptitious glances at his fellow passengers on the elevator, all of whom are carrying files much, much thicker than his own. He spots someone he knows, swallows hard, and speaks:

Perkins: “Um, sorry to disturb, Owens. But might I inquire... um... could I ask... just who are you tracking these days? That looks like a really large file you’ve got there.”

Owens: “Boy, you said it! I haven’t had a moment’s rest in weeks! This Jolie-Pitt clan are always on the go. New Orleans one day, Namibia the next. Lord, Perk... we went sky-diving last week! And all those kids! One cute little girl grabbed me a couple of days ago and I was halfway down the toilet bowl before somebody fished me out. I tell you, it never stops! Fun though, and I’ve recently heard some pretty interesting conversations about our next location. Top secret stuff, and let me tell you, I’ll have stories to tell when we get back. Can’t wait to fill Jobs in, though. This is the kind of stuff he’s looking for, you know. Sorry to rattle on like this, I haven’t even asked what you’ve been doing! Who you tracking these days? I heard Kate Middleton was looking to buy an iPhone. Were you the lucky duck who snagged that one?”

Perkins looks at his shoes and mumbles.

Owen: “What’s that?”

Perkins. clearing his throat: “Um, well no. I’m afraid I’m not working the Middleton account just now. I’m still tracking Pamela Terry.”

Owen: “Ah gee, Perk. I’m sorry. I had no idea you were still on that one. Pretty boring stuff, I imagine”.

At that point the elevator doors open wide onto the 31st floor. Perkins and Owens step out into a hallway flooded with golden light that streams in through windows at least twenty feet high. They make their way along the corridor in silence, Perkins dragging his feet ever so slightly. Soon they enter an opulent office waiting room, dotted here and there with overstuffed red paisley chairs. Perkins sits off to himself, feeling a bit faint. He watches as several other brown suited, red tied men are called into the office of Mr. Jobs, most leaving with smiles on their faces, a few running out as though on fire. Once again, Perkins swallows hard, his throat as dry as a shredded document. When, after several minutes, his own name is called, he gets up shakily and heads into the office.

Mr. Jobs is sitting behind an opulently carved desk, wearing a black turtleneck and eating an apple. He looks up at Perkins and smiles.

Mr. Jobs: “Well hello there Perkins. What do you have for me today. Let’s see now, you are following Pamela Terry aren’t you?”

Perkins: “Yes sir, I am.”

Mr. Jobs: “Well, tell me now, she been up to anything interesting?”

Perkins: “Well, um... she planted a vegetable garden yesterday. Put in some cosmos and zinnia along with the vegetables. That was pretty radical I thought.”

Mr. Jobs looks up and frowns.

Perkins, continuing on in a timorous voice: “And of course, there are those daily, sometimes twice daily (!), dog walks. I tell you, that big white dog of hers is really something. You should see him! Um.... well let’s see... she’s knitting another sweater... a sort of grey blue colour. Really nice. And uh... um... well, she’s really been enjoying the new production of Upstairs, Downstairs. Hasn’t missed a single episode. And well, gee...um... oh yes, she’s memorizing The Jabberwocky. Lots of unusual words in that, you know. Quite a feat, wouldn’t you say?”

Mr. Jobs’ face begins to change colour, slowly transforming from a peachy tint into something more akin to a thundercloud. Without really thinking, Perkins decides, on the spot, to lie through his teeth.

Perkins: “Then of course, there was that trip to Washington last week”.

Mr. Jobs: “Washington?

Perkins, words tumbling out in rapid fire fashion: “Oh, yeah. And she’s been over to The Hague a couple of times, too. I’m not sure what it’s all about, but she’s up to something big, I can tell you, big!. A real Mata Hari she is. Never a dull moment. Sometimes I wonder how I keep up. She’s a challenge, and no mistake. And there’s something going on with that dog. Why, he might not even be a real dog now that I think about it. He could be a pooka. In fact, I bet he is! Give me another month, and I’ll knock your socks off. You just wait! Why there’s no telling what Pamela Terry and that big white dog, if he IS a dog, will be doing next!”

Mr. Jobs smiles, his colour returning to normal. He takes a big bite out of his apple and offers one to Perkins.

Mr. Jobs: “That's what we like to hear, Perk old boy! You keep up the good work”.

27 comments:

  1. Oh Pamela if only all of our lives were as exciting as yours!! You and Edward put up quite a cover!!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always suspected there was more to you and Edward than meets the eye. Your secret's out: Edward is your partner in crime as you both impersonate the Easter Bunny! Guilty (happily) as charged!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah!ha!
    Can you imagine sifting through it all?

    ReplyDelete
  4. And she was planning a trip to Morocco but at the last minute went to London instead. Definitely guilty !

    ReplyDelete
  5. not to mention her obsession with the Scottish Highlands, I bet inside that big white dog is a West Highland White, I rest my case.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Pamela

    It makes me giggle too!

    Have a great week.

    Best
    Tracy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Legends in our own minds, all of us!!!
    Loved the story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just watched the movie "I know Where I'm Going" this weekend and the beautiful Scottish scenes made me think of you...

    The trackers would be even more bored with my itinerary than yours I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can I say just that?? Too perfect for words :)

    You Mata Hari you!! (wink wink)


    Jeanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha, you speak my mind!
    Just the other day I had this discussion with my husband! He fears/hates Facebook for that reason. For all that pretty regular, rather boring middle age stuff I am doing and writing about, who truly wants to check that out and report it to a big brother watching? Perhaps my biggest fear is the commercial end of that tale I am weaving....
    Endless stupid sales emails and targeted infomercials to sell me God knows what! Of course we become visible and potential targets for attack, but I believe these shady characters have other goals.
    And being a kid from a former Eastern European country, I have no fears of authorities. I am so no Mata Hari either!

    Have fun with life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This made me laugh out loud. I too have seen the reports and the articles on the tracking of our information and I thought the same thing you did. Who is doing the tracking and what are they doing with the information and who cares?

    You are definately pulling the "wool over someones eyes" what with the knitting, decorating, travel, gardening and living a wonderful life with Apple, Edward and your songwriter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I knew it...I just knew it!!! That perfectly lovely life of yours and Edward's many mad skills were just to good to be true...well it's all out in the open now...we're delightfully on to the both of you you (she says as she squints her eyes) and from now on...we'll be keeping an even closer watch on all that action and intrigue of yours...especially in the radical knitting, gardening, and laying on top of feet departments!
    xo J~

    (I think this one deserves an award!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah ha! I rather suspected that your normal life was a cover for James Bond adventures.

    Cute story. Thanks for the smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aha! I knew it! You are a clandestine agent, you and Edward. The truth is out. You've been found. Zinnias you say? Pamela, you are always a treat, and today, you are one with a smile to go with.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You and Edward do look a bit shifty..lol. My husband and I were talking about the tracking issue & how it wasn't one for us because we are too boring. Certainly nothing to hide; only in our dreams. Oh those men in weejuns!
    : ) Deb

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hee hee! I feel exactly the same way. When EZ Pass was first available some of my co-workers refused to get it, for fear of having their every move tracked. I can't imagine what anyone would get out of tracking my daily routine-slow death by boredom most likely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You sure have an interesting blog and what a lovely Edward you have! and I thought my Kota was hairy! You have a beaut! Enjoy your style
    God Bless,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha! Great post. I hope no one's tracking me!

    Pamela, please go to your settings and change your comments to "pop up" it's much easier and take off word verification. Nearly every blog I visit has now. It's much simpler to leave comments. Blogger has a spam filter now xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. How this made me laugh Pamela. I think my life is just about as boring as they come - to anyone other than me - but I love it as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You made me laugh my socks off Pamela. I could just picture that poor little down trodden Perkins. The person who was tailing me would find my life the most boring thing on the planet but I enjoy it..haha.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yet another reason to love the company of dogs; they see everything, but they will never tell a soul! Fun post, Pamela!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a tale/tail.......
    Beautifully written.
    Yes, I can imagine there is so much information stored about everyone......but who is ever going to sift through it?
    Buster sends his best to Edward and Apple.
    I'm reading a book about Scotland during WWII....House-Bound by Winifred Peck (Persephone)
    You might like it!
    word verification:romps

    ReplyDelete
  23. Excellent take on this issue Pamela! enjoyed it very much. hugs Colx ~ Afrique du Sud

    ReplyDelete
  24. So sweet! The world is more fun with you and Edward!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This past week my spy would have nothing to say but "yet ANOTHER trip to Waitrose."

    A sinister subject, but so wittily and whimsically handled!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hehehe. This is hilarious, Pamela.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You sure have an interesting blog and what a lovely Edward you have! and I thought my Kota was hairy! You have a beaut! Enjoy your style God Bless, Julie

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Each and every one! Though I'm always reading your comments, I may not respond in the comment section. If you want to write me directly, you may do so at pamela@pamelaterry.net. Thank you for reading!