Thursday, September 9, 2010

Cairo Time


Cairo Time

Given the fact that we grew up in the same town, even went to the same high school, I should probably be loyal to Julia Roberts. There is a “home town girl makes good” aspect to her that I both recognize and love. This month I suppose my loyalty should be exhibited by extolling the glories of her new movie, Eat Pray Love, at every opportunity. However, when it comes to a film about the enlightenment of a woman in an exotic culture, I cannot stop thinking about Cairo Time.
Smaller and quieter than its more visible cousin film, Cairo Time has been called a love letter of sorts to the city for which it is named, and that is certainly accurate. The colours, the postcard-worthy vistas, even the music, of Cairo are presented to the viewer in an enchanting and intoxicating package. One of my favourite scenes occurs when Juliette opens the door to her hotel room balcony and is mesmerized by the panorama that suddenly appears before her. Stunned, she steps back into the room, drags an armchair outside and simply sits there, trying to take it all in.
As a love story, Cairo Time shares a bittersweet tone with the old Katharine Hepburn movie, Summertime, one of my favourites. The city of Venice shared the screen with Miss Hepburn back then, and Cairo partners with the divine Patricia Clarkson, as Juliette, in this movie. They make an especially fine pair.

Although Cairo Time is a thoughtful love story with a soundtrack by Niall Byrne that is positively swoon-worthy, I came away thinking more about the whole idea of travel and its vital significance in the journey of the human soul. There are a lot of lovely silences in this movie, exquisite little moments where we are allowed to simply observe Juliette’s face as she is continually met with sights and ideas so foreign to the ones she has known. Gently wafting across her face are surprise, admiration, confusion, understanding - emotions common to the traveler and ones that are essential, in my view, to the development of vision and sagacity.

Last year, it was with a shudder that I heard the American politician, Newt Gingrich, state, with no small amount of pride, "I am not a citizen of the world. I think the entire concept is intellectual nonsense and stunningly dangerous!" I found this remark to be nakedly horrifying, especially since this man is rumoured to be mulling over a presidential run in 2012. One wonders at the sort of ignorance and arrogance that brings someone to a conclusion such as this. How can we expect anyone, anywhere, to give credence to our views and beliefs when the exchange is so wholly onesided? Personally, I think the best thing for every human being, Mr. Gingrich included, is to be plopped down in a country in which they are not the top dog, where they themselves are the “foreigners” - the ones in need of translation, the ones needing to learn. A certain kind of knowledge is born in situations such as these, a knowledge that, over time, can effervesce into wisdom. And Lord knows, the world needs more of that.

It is not a threat to patriotism to realize that the world is distinctly smaller that it used to be. Either as a country or as an individual, none of us can afford to live as an island, swaddled in the delusion that the problems, or the joys, of others are irrelevant to our lives here on this tiny blue planet. When I have traveled to places outside of my usual sphere - where the landscape is different, the language unknown, and the sounds, the smells, the tastes are unfamiliar to my senses - these have been the journeys that have shaped my thinking and expanded my knowledge of myself, my country and my world. I like to think travel has helped to provide me with what little understanding I possess.

Go see Cairo Time.
Watch as the feluccas slowly drift down the Nile.
Rest beneath the shade of a rock in the White Desert.
Sit with a stranger on the stones of the Pyramids.
Then call your travel agent and go somewhere you have always wanted to go.


The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.”
St. Augustine




See more about the film, Cairo Time, HERE

45 comments:

  1. Oh, Pamela, I so agree to your world wise views and wish for as many people possible to expirience the world outside the familiar path' and to step into new territory. It so expands the horizon...
    and the generosity of the heart and the tolerance towards our neighbors near and far! As different as they may be!
    Thank you!

    XX
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more. I never understood, even as a child, why we would only be interested in the results of the Americans in the Olympics, or how many Americans died in a plane crash, etc. I was interested in the whole story.

    I have not heard of "Cairo Time," so thank you for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Pamela, you have certainly wetted my appetite for the movie "Cairo Time" I love the allure and romance of far away climes.
    ~Dianne~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take comfort in the fact that anyone who shares their life with a PON is a fully paid up member of the 'citizens of the world' club.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Pamela, What an interesting posting in which you go on to consider a very fundamental point about the way in which some people think and their feelings about others. All somewhat alarming!

    'Cairo Time' is not familiar to me but sounds a must.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I will put Cairo time on the Netflix immediately.
    My husband has been to Cairo and loved it . I NEED to go.
    I feel incredibly strongly that travel is a vital part of one's growth as a person.
    I have been much enriched by trying to understand other cultures.
    I'm sure it makes people more tolerant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pamela, you are do "right on". Newt, is an idiot, and who would name their child NEWT???? I, myself love to travel and always stay away from the "touristy" things but go into the neighborhoods where the "real people" are. Love your blog. Please come and take a look at mine new blog.
    http://www.beenblogged2.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. forgot to tell you that I can't wait to see "Cairo Time". thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for those recommendations. I hope it appears in these parts ...but unfortunately we only seem to get the blockbusters.
    I haven't travelled all that much and I enjoy reading blog posts showing travels and holidays. I have enjoyed doing my own and am always surprised by how others like to read them. Even just what to me is 'ordinary' is exotic to others and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I read your posts, Pamela, I always feel as if you have read my mind as you weave your writings into a bigger picture. Well done. I am not as well traveled, but would do so in a minute if circumstances allowed. I am well traveled in my mind, however, and do expect our head of state to have an interest and understanding beyond our borders. The quote you issue made me cringe. I will try to see Cairo Time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that St Augustine quote Pamela - and agree with everything you say.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pamela,

    The time is here to spread our wings!!Cairo Time sounds wonderful!

    I have a New Giveaway I think you will love!

    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  13. For a post that started out as a movie review it certainly ended as a remarkable statement about starkly different ways of viewing the world...I am with you 100% and cannot understand those who would not want to be a citizen of the world...I have not traveled much but the little I have done has only made me appreciate other cultures. I would love to visit Cairo one day...


    This movie sounds beautiful...I love Patricia Clarkson...and I have never heard of it before!!Will Netflix it...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now I am inspired. I spent an afternoon in Tuscany last weekend watching Letters to Juliet, so I think a trip to Egypt will be a delight to look foward to!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this sounds like a wonderful film, I'll look out for it. And you are so entirely right - we are global citizens now whether we like it or not and we all need to acknowledge that fact

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pamela...very well said and I love that you have suggested something that I have never seen or heard of before. I am off to explore.

    Speaking of exploring someplace new...I am off to Jerusalem at the end of the month. A big change from the normal travel route for me. I am looking forward to it :)

    Best wishes to you Edward and your dear Songwriter.

    Jeanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will be looking out for this. Did you ever see Joanna Lumley presenting a series about a trip down the Nile?
    Thanks so much for your very kind words today.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Positively enticing...I shall order Cairo Time immediately. Always love your view of the world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You grew up in Marietta? What a small world. I saw the previews for this film when we saw "I Am Love." Wow! You reminded me I need to see this film too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have stories to tell about my travels to Egypt during my junior semester abroad in Italy. From studying art in Florence to hiking sandy hills in the Valley of the Kings in Luxor in sandals. These things for sure give face to the world out there... The Gingrich thing is disturbing - there seems a huge chasm between camps these days. The news today about how some people want to commemorate 9/11 is over the top....

    On a lighter note, I look forward to traveling to Cairo again in this film, thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pamela, I've always wanted to go to Cairo. Going back to Paris in the spring though; trying to plan the perfect trip. Hotels are swirling in my brain, trying to pick the perfect one. Newt is supposed to be so intelligent - what an ignorant thing to say. Maybe he and Palin will hook up.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great post! Now I can´t wait to see "Cairo Time"!
    Hugs, Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Pamela, wonderful post. I love the Hepburn film, and will be chasing Cairo Time forthwith.
    Couldn't agree more with your meditations on travel and experiencing the other. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” St. Augustine

    Perfectly sums it up, wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I must look for tghis film, it sounds excellent. I've never been to Cairo but I have visited Egypt and loved it, the history,art and culture are quite breathtaking. Travel is one of the most wonderful and inspiring things to do provided that you look and listen and learn about the countries and people that you visit. I count myself very fortunate to have had the chance to travel as much as I have.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I’ve finally decided to read Eat Pray Love but skipped the movie. This is the second blog post I’ve read recently about Cairo Time – will add it to our Netflix queue. Thanks for the recommendation. Let’s hear it for world citizens!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm going to have to walk over to my kindle (I know you shrink) and download it now. I am not in anyway compensated by Amazon, but its the only way I can keep track of books that are well recommended, that aren't floating around my house as little scraps of paper, along with other scary pieces of paper, like property tax bills, or Insurance premiums. I will let you know. You make a good point on travel. We should not regard it as a luxury, but a necessity.
    Best,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Dear Pamela
    You are making me even more impatient to see these movies... Sadly I have to wait a bit longer for them to come to my shore!! I love Patricia Clarkson.. there is a certain calmness about her... and the subject matter and locations of both movies are right up my alley.. I've had people emailing me telling me these movies will be my thing!! hahaha

    That image you have chosen is wonderful.. so dreamy... Have a lovely week.. xxx Julie

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have always said that travel is the best form of education. Egypt and Cairo have wonderful things to offer, even if some of them may take a little getting used to. I was in Cairo briefly in February and I'm not sure you would be allowed to sit on the pyramid stones anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh Pamela,
    You are so right. Travel is so important. It gives us knowledge, insight and understanding. It provides us with beautiful memories, new tastes and sounds and just a wonderful sense of well-being and contentment.
    Apparantly, the majority of Americans never leave the States and here in the UK we usually see more of the world than our own beautiful country. Very strange !!
    I will seek out Cairo Time. My dad was in Cairo during the war and my sister and I used to pour over his tiny little black and white photographs and gaze at all of the wonderful sights. It's one of the places that I haven't been to yet but is on our list. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  31. I cannot wait to see this film. And I absolutely agree about the great influence that traveling can have on a person. Nothing teaches empathy like feeling like a fish out of water.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you, Pamela. I shall see Cairo Time.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Pamela,
    I always enjoy your words and viewpoint. First off Newt Gingrich is and always will be an idiot. I am confident he will never sit in the oval office. Americans are far too smart.

    Cairo time sounds wonderful, especially if Patricia Clarkson is part of it!

    My husband spent 2 years working in Afghanistan. It changed him and our family forever..in some wonderful ways.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I just wanna wish you a nice weekend !

    xo
    Anci

    ReplyDelete
  35. I hadn't heard of the film 'Cairo Time' it sounds wonderful I shall definitely add it to my list to watch. And..I'd forgotten about 'Summertime' I must watch that again too! I hadn't heard about the comments by this Newt person. We are ALL World-people under the same sky!

    x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  36. I hadn't heard of the film 'Cairo Time' it sounds wonderful I shall definitely add it to my list to watch. And..I'd forgotten about 'Summertime' I must watch that again too! I hadn't heard about the comments by this Newt person. We are ALL World-people under the same sky!

    x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  37. I didn't think I was going to be, but now I think I am - persuaded.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I didn't think I was going to be, but now I think I am - persuaded.ronemou

    ReplyDelete
  39. I am longing to go to Egypt but in the mean time I must see the film. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Is it really travel that we need to expand our vision ...or do we really need to see our familiar territory with the eyes or vision of the traveler? I suspect it is both... I know people that travel but don't see, and people that must stay at home but see so much more than the rest of us...however I have not seen this movie and your very lovely and thoughtful post has made me sooo want to go to see it...
    Hugs for a lovely weekend
    Lynn xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  41. Just stumbled in here and love it.

    Will definitely look into Cairo Time.

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  42. oh I just stumbled in and feel memories .. tks

    ReplyDelete
  43. Sorry i have not been around lately. I still am an avid follower of your blog and soul journey and, even though I sometimes have missed a few posts, I always come back and enjoy them fully at a later date when I am at peace to let myself be embraced by the magic of your prose and not beset by the turmoil of life.

    What a narrow minded politician! First and foremost we are all members of the human race no matter what part of the world we happen to live in. To me, rabid nationalism is the most terrifying infectious disease known to mankind. A year without diplomatic backup in Siberia, Somalia, or New Guinea should certainly augment his lacking education.

    Thank you for your birthday wishes, I'll be back to enjoy more of your posts.

    PS I am impressed with the new look of your blog and the side-bar facility of clicking on interesting older posts.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Each and every one! Though I'm always reading your comments, I may not respond in the comment section. If you want to write me directly, you may do so at pamela@pamelaterry.net. Thank you for reading!