Tuesday, May 12, 2009


John Romain Changed My Life

There are people who dwell in the rooms of my memory and I try to visit them often. Strangely, some begin to disappear after a year or so, fading slowly into shadow. No doubt, a malady due to lack of attention on my part. But the others who remain, colourful and complete, are all there for the very same reason - they have helped to create, in bits and in bobs, the person that is me.

See the elderly lady in the shirtwaist dress, watering the ferns at the window? She has lived here for decades for she long ago gave me my love of flowers. And the smiling chap sitting at the piano? A fairly new arrival, he taught me that happiness is a choice one makes every day. No doubt some in this crowd are recognizable to you. The two ladies in the library? Yes, that is indeed Virginia Woolf discussing Bloomsbury’s Charleston farmhouse with Sister Parish. I also have it on quite good authority that Walt Disney walks my childhood dogs every afternoon at four. But, look. See the gentleman over there in the tufted leather chair by the fire? The one flipping through an old copy of Country Life? That is John Romain. He was a handbag designer and he has dwelt here for ages. For you see, when I was eight years old, John Romain changed my life.

When I entered third grade, it seemed every girl I knew was longing for a John Romain handbag. Nut brown, tweedy creations, with butter soft leather trim, they were the ultimate acquisition and a sure symbol of fashionable acceptance. Although an admittedly unnecessary accessory, parents soon began to acquiesce to the pleas and the whines of their daughters, and one by one, these objects of
pre-teen desire began to show up on the little arms of my saddle-shoed classmates. As a happily only child, I was always amused by competition. It seemed such a quizzical activity to me. Keeping up with other people was an alien notion to a little girl whose favourite confidant was her dog. But oh, how I wanted one of those bags. It came over me like the flu and I was introduced to my first chilled feeling of envy.

Then, on a cold Christmas morning, I opened an elaborately wrapped present and... there it lay. My very own John Romain bag. And wonder of wonders, my parents had ordered one with a
horsehead clasp! The Ultimate. I was beside myself with joy and could hardly wait for the holidays to be over when I would join the ranks of those sartorially in vogue. But a funny thing happened when I walked into class, proudly carrying my celebrated bag like the trophy it was.
I was now just like everyone else.
And, I hated it.
Oh, I loved the handbag. But I hated being part of the herd.

So yes, John Romain remains anchored in my memory for having taught me a priceless lesson about myself; a lesson I am most grateful to have learned early: I am happiest following my own path. Utterly skeptical of trends, I much prefer to trust my own eye. Preserving my individuality is vital to me and through the years I have found such joy in aiding my clients in the discovery of their own unique voices and enabling them to express those personal voices in the design and decoration of their homes.

So if you’ll excuse me, I think I’ll just sit here with Mr. Romain for a bit. I am curious for his opinion on a couple of articles I have just read in the latest Elle Decor.
I am sure you can find your way out.
Just don’t let Mr. Disney con you into walking those dogs.
That’s his job.

39 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your life lesson with us and giving us pause for thought! I want to be unique and have my own style but I am learning this late in life and haven't perfected my style. I know it's never to late to learn...that's encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I agree with you to walk our own path, instead that of others! Ooh my, handbags, I never can have too many. Thank you for sharing your joy of your first John Romain bag - a little treasure:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My greatest asset is my ability to be me, what you see is what you get!I can remember a time in my youth that I longed to be like someone else, in adulthood I learned being me was a pretty good deal!
    ~ Carol ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only had one John Romain bag but I can still remember the smell of the leather. Then again I remember the smell of my leather book satchel from first grade. Oh what am I saying, I still remember the smell of the plastic Thumbalina doll too!

    I was one of 5 children so I had to be one of a crowd - hand-me-downs a part of growing up. Getting something new that was purchased with love just for me helped me understand that I was unique. Funny, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. A sweet post. The older I get some of the memories are a fog, but there are the highlights that still remain. Do you still have your purse? Enjoy... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been much of a handbag person Pamela, but I did love your description of your first "chilled feeling of envy". Mine was my cousin's Bunnykins ware. Toddler envy big time!Didn't think to pester for my own cereal bowl and egg cup from this delightfully classic range, but it worked in later years for a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ..oh, I meant to add how much I love the concept of those who dwell in the rooms of our memory - beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am ashamed to say that I have never heard of John Romain, maybe because I have never owned a posh bag but I did enjoy reading your post. Now I am off to google John Romain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never had one! I feel like I really missed out now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all you post
    Blessings
    Love Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember as a very young child I was very shy and I always wanted to dissolve into the background so I always ended up wearing what the others wore in order not to stand out. Nowadays I rejoice in the little differences that make me stand out from the crowd. What changes forty years of experience make.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Funny thing fashion, when I was some 30 years younger and considered quite a looker, I liked to set it rather than follow it. I desighned all my own clothes and those of my daughter. I had the first pair of red shoes at 16, 6 months later, everyone was wearing red so I stopped. I like sheep but have no ambition to be one f the flock.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello P&E,

    I can't speak of John Romain bags, alas! Or the way you describe holding the memory of these people who have influenced your life. We must all have them, I suppose, but you seem to have an unique way of keeping them fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful post to have a little walk and to visit the people who make you up.

    I loved it.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely post, pamela...now I have to go check some rooms in my memory and see who's there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lesson to learn Pamela - so very interesting. So many children want to follow the herd - the one that doesn't, in my opinion, is the one that is really interesting. A lovely story. I am glad to be back after my trip - nice to pick up on blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The perfect handbag is the holy grail of fashion.
    That’s a funny story with a good moral.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful lesson and beautifully said. Follow your own path. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  19. absolutely priceless post! I am so on your train - I never wanted what the others had - drove my mother insane.......still does a bit

    ReplyDelete
  20. This was charming Pamela! I have to admit I had to look up John Romain on Google to see what his handbags looked like. I've worn a uniform my whole life, so I was never very good at fashion. It is so true we are a sum of all we've experienced in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautifully written piece about something important. I'm inspired. Thank you.

    Thanks for visiting my blog, too. Please come back.

    ♥sallymandy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautifully described Pamela - I love the way you write with such heartfelt emotion. xv

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great lesson to have learned so young. I do like your idea of people inhabiting rooms in our minds. I have a nasty feeling there are quite a few in mind in need to a thorough dusting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pamela~ Your words touch me. What a lesson to learn so young. I read a book when I was in junior high- I think the title was something like Dare to be Different. It made a huge impression on me. I have always been comfortable following my own path. I love your writing-it always takes me away, if only for a short time- but a glorious adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love all you share.
    Thanks for your visits and kind words and yes I had a fabulous Mother's Day
    Love Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  26. I enjoyed this one very much..love the humour in it and your great personality:)))

    ReplyDelete
  27. You were lucky to learn that lesson so early.
    I've never had one of those bags, but I well remember my longing for a pair of madras shorts - never did have them!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've always been one to walk my own path, but have also felt envy like you describe, alien and unwelcome but also undeniable! A lovely and thought provoking post, thank you

    Kim x

    ReplyDelete
  29. If we fail to heed our inner voice, we lose our way. I learned very early that I had a stronger need to create than to imitate. Still do. My need to create is even greater than my need to assimilate. Solitude is an absolute requirement for the dreaming and the doing. Love the post and your vision.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a fascinating tale.
    Yes, how I remember how important it was to have the right things......
    except I never did...
    I did have turquoise plastic hoop earings
    which I considered the height of chic in 1967..
    Hugs for Edward and Apple.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I loved this post - I remember my own longings for things that were in fashion and my mum saying - no, I'd rather you didn't have it you'll just look like everyone else:) I'm off to google John Romain as I have no idea what his bags are like:)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Pamela, you write so well! This post takes me back to all the crazes and fashions during my school days. The recorder stands out in my mind. I wanted one so badly but it was years later that I finally got one ....and hated it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Once I had a need to own many handbags, but now have only one that serves me day to day.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh I have missed your blog, my own fault of course, but I shall not do so in the future.

    That chair is wonderful, I could just sink into it with a good book. I love the lesson your learned too. A very valuable one.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Pamela and Edward,
    Great lesson John Romain helped you learn about yourself.
    Your policy is one I believe in too!
    It's better to be unique and special!
    These are the people I feel attracted to.

    xox
    Constance

    ReplyDelete
  36. What an interesting story. And I love the graphic you chose. THat chair looks like heaven on earth. Kitty thinks so too!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I just came across my first John Romain purse and fell in love with it immediately. It reminded me of an Etienne Aigner which was the equivalent to your John Romain story as a child. My Etienne Aigner purse finally came to me second hand when a girl I knew sold me hers after purchasing a new one. Where did John Romain manufacture his purses? My new Romain find is in very good condition. Thanks for your knowledge and witty words.

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is my first time pay a quick visit at here and i am in fact pleassant to read everthing at alone place.
    Here is my blog post :: borkum riff

    ReplyDelete
  39. I know this website provides quality dependent articles and additional data, is there any other website
    which offers such information in quality?
    Take a look at my blog post ; www.yourtobaccosstore.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Each and every one! Though I'm always reading your comments, I may not respond in the comment section. If you want to write me directly, you may do so at pamela@pamelaterry.net. Thank you for reading!